Monday, January 16, 2006

this one goes out to all those sheep who survived tabaski...


Another clear, sunny, beautiful day here in Niamey…although the winds have begun to pick up, blowing red-brown dust around.

Today the first woman leader of Africa was sworn in, and that’s all the news here on the BBC Africa. I don’t have a whole lot to report, but figured I should write an update…I don't go online much, so I'm sorry if I'm not emailing y'all so much...I could, and they do have internet cafes, but it just seems silly to go halfway around the world to a 3rd world country and hang out on the internet.

I’ve mostly been hanging out with my mom and enjoying my time off. Lets see…last week, Wed. I think, woke up early and went to the petit marche with Brianna, who helped me bargain my way along…was fun, and a little less daunting than the grand marche. We went out for beers later on or maybe that was the next day, and I got to listen to more PC volunteer talk, which is interesting to me because I’ve never experienced it. It’s funny…no one really knows about Niger, and so no one asks to come here… It’s one of the hardest places to be for American volunteers, just in terms of culture shock, climate shock, etc, so it’s interesting to hear about their reactions when they end up here. During the hot season, the day can start out as hot at 130 or higher right at 8 am, so it’s pretty hot even for hot lovers.

Actually, a new stage (group of volunteers) just got in on Friday, so they are just starting training now…so there’s a whole new group of shock and awe =)

But the people here are some of the friendliest and most generous I’ve met in my whole life. All smiles. And that’s never a bad thing.

Went out a few times during the weekend, mostly with my mom and not out too late. We had a nice dinner and drinks out at a hotel/bar the other night, owned by a French guy and his wife, that was really nice. The guy played guitar accompanied by a djembe drummer, and it was nice to hear some live music. The food was great and the beer was cold. Kate, one of the volunteers here, works at an orphanage and this week I might get to go with her and some of the older kids to the zoo/musee, which I hear is pretty neat (better now than it used to be anyway…) They’ve got some neat Giraffes, etc, but I hear its kinda sad because the cages are kinda small, just like everywhere.


On Sat. we went to the petit marche again (mom and I) and also went plant shopping. Got a whole car load of pretty plants for about $6 US….great deal =) They sell all the plants down by the river (the Niger), where they have these beautiful gardens. (I’ll try to sneak in a pic here) Then accompanied mom to the “Ladies Who Lunch” Sat. lunch, a group of long-time American volunteers (ladies only), which was fun. Went home and planted some plants, then planned out some other parts of the garden and started some seedlings.


Sunday was brunch as usual at mom’s house…not too many PCVs in town, though, so it was just a small group. We had banana bread, zucchini bread and mangos with yogurt. Then we went to the Artisan, an area where a bunch of the leather workers make stuff and sell it….lots of fun and pretty little trinkets, sandals, purses, etc.

One of the ethnic groups here are the Tuareg, a nomadic people who inhabit many places in west Africa (and yes, the namesake of the VW car) They do a lot of leatherwork here and they have amazing camels! Altho they are here in Niamey, they are more common north in Agadaz, the big stretch of desert area in the northern part of the country. I would really love to take a trip up there, and have heard it’s just gorgeous, but I’ve also heard there’s not much point unless you have at least 10-plus days to do it…and I just don’t want to take the time, unless mom could come with (and there’s no way). I’ve also heard that there’s supposed to be a total eclipse of the sun visible from here at the end of March, and that many people are planning trips up there for that…it would be amazing!

The marines came and picked up their kitty cat…they are so macho =) They had an inspection this past week, and are not allowed to have kitties, so they thought it wouldn’t look good if the cat was hanging around meowing for food….”oh, that’s not our cat, we’ve never even seen her before…” as she’s hanging out around the fridge and climbing up in people’s laps. Her name is Little Q-Tip…like I said, they’re really macho guys. A few of them came over for brunch last Sun., and I ended up in a deep discussion about the Beat writers and the peace movement…the marines here are weird! But great…

I’ll probably take my trip up to Maradi next week, when one of the PCV cars goes up there…but I don’t think I’ll make it to Dokoro, where I really wanted to go. Sounds like the only way is via bush taxi, and I’ve just hear too many bad stories in that regard…and I don’t even have the local language skills to say “stop this car…I want to get the hell out!” in Zarma or Hausa. From what I’ve heard, they drive at about 130+ K/hr through desert land on unpaved road, and its just not that safe…plus, unlike the volunteers etc., here, I lack a little thing I like to call health insurance, and I think I’d like to leave more or less in one piece. I’ve heard bad stories. Bad. Still, at least I’ll get out of the capital.

Tonight I ate mangos, did a little shopping, and went out to the bar with my mom and the volunteer crew for some beers to send off a PCV that’s leaving tomorrow….and I think we’re going to the office now so I can send this off. Am also doing a lot of reading, which is nice…right now I’m on a big book, Collapse, which is Jared Diamond’s next book after Guns, Germs and Steel….both highly recommended reading, especially if you find yourself traveling in 3rd world countries =)

Rob – I met a girl whose parents live in Luchenbach, Texas (dunno the spelling)…thought you might be amused by that. I asked if they lived next to the post office, the beer hall, or the parking meter…

That’s about it from me…sorry, not all that exciting! (well, exciting for me…but so hard to put into words the feeling of the experiences, etc) love to all, and I’ll try to send a little sun your way xoxoxoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home